Why choose Accoya?
Accoya wood brings together the elegance and prestige of conventional wood with the longevity and structural stability of man-made materials, whilst at the same time being more environmentally friendly than both.
Accoya wood has been developed over the course of more than a decade and combines some well-known wood treatment processes, like acetylation, with other cutting edge technologies to create a high performance wood which is perfect for use in all kinds of settings, even the most challenging. In fact, Accoya wood is so versatile that it can used in all manner of environments. The possibilities really are only limited by the imagination!
One of the things I am most keen on accentuating here at The Handmade Door Company is the environmentally friendly aspect of Accoya wood. So apart from being non-toxic, which stops harmful poisons being released into the environment, it is also 100% recyclable and a perfect combustible fuel for the production of bio-energy.
Accoya is produced only from fast growing and abundant sources of wood, like Radiata pine. Therefore use of Accoya wood also helps to spur the trade in environmentally friendly wood, protecting the rapidly dwindling rainforests of the world and reducing the demand for illegal logging, which causes so much devastation to world ecology.
- Swelling and shrinkage reduced by 75% or more
- Doors and windows open effortlessly year round
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Lasting 50 years above ground, 25 years in ground/freshwater Class 1 durability, surpassing even teak
- Virtually rot proof
- 70 year minimum service life stated by TRADA
Ideal for coating
- Improved stability means coatings last up to two times longer
- Easier to coat, less preparation and sanding required